Here's what we saw when we opened the packet. (The standard size pack of playing cards are for size comparison purposes only)
We turned it over and the scope of the job became clearer.
Missing presumed lost
Some other sad and neglected members of the family
Also in the package were what we assume is the original keep and what can only loosely be described as a 'pair' of door knobs.
It became obvious straight away that the missing components were originally much larger than anything have in our large collection old old lock parts. The only way to restore this lock to a useable state is to make the missing parts by hand.
Will it be worth the cost?
The simple answer to this is 'find another one in fully restored working condition and see how much it costs, then hope it fits the original space without having to chop the door around'. We think it' a no-brainer but then not everyone sees things the way we do. Maybe I can buy it if the owner doesn't want it restored :-)
The remainder of this web log will detail the agony and the ecstasy of the restoration process.
Dismantled and Stripped
Not sure how many layers of paint there were normally 24 hours in the stripping tank is enough, this monster took three attempts and 3 days to strip.
The case is actually in good condition, must be all those layers of paint. There are about 60% of the original parts here, the missing ones will need to be made.
- spindle cam
- rear bolt retaining bracket
- privacy snib
- privacy snib slider
Candidate key and evidence of past attention
It's good to get an early 'win' and the best place to start is the keep although it looks like someone has been here before as the lip has been soft soldered to the body of the keep. Certainly not original (the soldering)